Join us in discovering the opera stars of tomorrow at the Semi-final of The Glyndebourne Opera Cup – the international competition for opera singers.
Tickets are available to the Semi-final and the Final which take place on the Glyndebourne main stage.
Glyndebourne Members, Associate Members and Tour Members can enjoy a priority booking period from 1 September 2017, before tickets go on sale to the public on 2 October 2017.
Following an open call for applications, selected singers will attend preliminary rounds in locations around the world. They will be whittled down to the final 25 semi-finalists, ready to face the judging panel on the Glyndebourne stage and only 10 will progress to the Final.
Each instalment of this biennial competition will focus on the work of one great operatic composer, starting with Mozart.
The winner will receive a top prize of £15,000 and the guarantee of a professional role at one of the top international opera houses. The competition offers prizes for second place (£10,000) and third place (£7,500), along with an Audience Award and a Promising Talent Award (£5,000 each).
Thursday 22 March 2018, 11.00am – 9.00pm
Tickets: central seats £20; side seats £10
25 semi-finalists perform with piano accompaniment, before the jury select the 2018 finalists.
The 2018 judging panel
- Sebastian F. Schwarz, General Director, Glyndebourne (Chair)
- Barrie Kosky, Artistic Director, Komische Oper Berlin
- David Devan, General Director and President, Opera Philadelphia
- Joan Matabosch, Artistic Director, Teatro Real de Madrid
- Sophie de Lint, Artistic Director, Zurich Opera and Director designate of Dutch National Opera
- Fortunato Ortombina, Artistic Director, Teatro La Fenice, Venice
- Pål Christian Moe, Casting Consultant for Glyndebourne and Bayerische Staatsoper Munich
- Maria Mot, Associate Director, Vocal & Opera, Intermusica
The competition’s honorary president is Dame Janet Baker, whose own early career was fostered by Glyndebourne.
This exciting competition will be televised in a dedicated TV series on Sky Arts, Glyndebourne’s official UK broadcast partner for this competition.