Join our Head Gardner, Kevin Martin and our Garden Adviser, John Hoyland this summer for a specially curated tour and learn more about the Glyndebourne gardens.
A rare opportunity to see the gardens on a non performance day these tours offer the chance to: discover the rich history of the gardens; learn about the design and planting decisions that have contributed so significantly to these world-famous grounds; and enjoy a spot of lunch altogether where you can ask questions and get more handy tips from the experts.
Each tour will visit all areas of the garden, with a particular focus on one area as outlined below:
- Monday 3 June – a look behind the scenes of the engine room of the garden – the greenhouses and shade tunnels. To keep plant miles low the Glyndebourne gardeners produce most of the plants that are used in the garden. The visit will be an opportunity to look at how the plants are produced and what varieties we have selected for the forthcoming season.
- Tuesday 2 July – a focus on the cut-flower garden and the vegetable garden. During the festival many members of the creative teams stay at Glyndebourne and the vegetable garden, as well as feeding the Christie family, helps to feed the house guests. Cut flowers are grown for the house, the restaurants and for the extravagant displays in the Organ Room. Kevin Martin will explain what is grown and how he maximises use of the space.
- Tuesday 23 July – a focus on the Bourne garden, this is the area between the car park and the opera house. It is filled with exotic species and was conceived as a foretaste of the drama on stage. Many of the plants are rare or difficult to grow and we will identify the species and explain how we nurture them.
This is No Ordinary Garden Tour.
The tour includes the following
- 10-10.30am – tea/coffee
- 10.30am – 11.15am – introductory talk in the Old Green Room
- 11.15am – 12.45pm – guided garden tour
- 1.00pm – a two-course seasonal lunch in the Garden Marquee
£90 per person
How to book
Booking is open exclusively to Members until Tuesday 9 April when tickets will become available to the general public.
To access priority booking Members should log in first. Tickets can also be booked by calling the Box Office on +44 (0)1273 815 000. Our Box Office is open from 10.00am – 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.
Sussex Asparagus, goat’s cheese and chive
Tomato, red onion marmalade, green and yellow courgette
Bulgur Wheat Tabbouleh: Tomato, parsley, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, spring onion, mint, lemon
Edamame & sesame salad: Mixed sesame seeds, pomegranate, coriander, lime
Dips and bread (served on the table family style)
Smoked aubergine caviar
Mixed radishes and baby gem
Sourdough baguette, flatbread
Mini Pavlova – Mango and passionfruit cream, fresh Sussex berries