Youth Academy is a classical singing development programme which aims to support talented young performers aged between 14 - 19 years old across the country.
In Glyndebourne Youth Academy, a cohort of young, talented singers will work with industry professionals to learn about classical music, exploring singing, movement, drama, text and languages. Our team, led by Glyndebourne Vocal Talent Consultant Mary King, will explore vocal technique and give an insight into what it’s like to work in the world of opera and classical singing. There will also be opportunities to talk about your development as a singer and what further avenues you could pursue.
The programme will be hybrid with both online and in-person sessions to ensure you get the most out of your time in the Youth Academy. All applicants will be encouraged to attend the October Audition Workshops following which 25 singers will be invited to participate in online sessions building towards an intensive, day-long workshop in May 2023. After these workshops, 10 participants will be selected to attend the residential course in July 2023.
All aspiring young singers between the ages of 14 – 19 are invited to apply regardless of experience with classical music and we welcome applicants from all over the United Kingdom. All tuition is free of charge.
“Above all, the tutorial with Mary allowed the chance for all my personal and nitty gritty questions to be answered about different elements of the opera world, and what I can do to pursue it and improve overall.” – Former Glyndebourne Talent Development participant
“Throughout this process I have learnt to better my control over my vocal range as well as the portrayal of the characters’ emotions in my pieces and performances.” – Former Glyndebourne Talent Development participant
“I am incredibly grateful to Glyndebourne for giving me so many unique opportunities.” – Former Glyndebourne Talent Development participant
To apply for Youth Academy, please complete the application form below. Each application will need to be supported by a video submission and a headshot photo. To be eligible to apply for Youth Academy, you must be aged between 14 – 19 years old for the duration of the project (key dates below).
- Your video must be no longer than two minutes and should show off your performance and vocal abilities
- Due to the number of applications, if your video is longer than 2 minutes, the panel will not view beyond the 2 minute mark
- Your song choice can be from any style of music
- Videos with an online link are preferred (e.g. YouTube, Vimeo):
- If you have a link to your video, please include this in the relevant section in the application form
- If you are unable to put your video on an online platform, please send it to email@example.com with your name in the subject line of the email
- Your video must be submitted at the same time as the application form
- Please send a headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org when you submit your application form
- The headshot should be recent and a good likeness
- The headshot does not have to be professionally taken
If you have any questions or issues surrounding the video submission, headshots or the application form please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com.
- July – Application deadline, videos reviewed by panel
- October – Workshops
- November – Online sessions
- December – Individual online sessions
- February – Online sessions
- March – Individual online sessions
- May – Intensive workshops
- July – Residential
Glyndebourne’s Learning & Engagement programme is made possible thanks to Arts Council England and generous donations through Glyndebourne’s New Generation Programme.
Photography by James Bellorini and Sam Stephenson