Routes into Glyndebourne: Trainee Archivist
Part-time, 21 hours per week for six months
The Glyndebourne Archive holds a wide range of materials relating to the Festival and Touring Operas from their beginnings to the present day. The department is uniquely placed to offer a post-graduate or undergraduate student the chance to gain experience in a niche area of the profession. Performing arts repositories face particular challenges which fall outside much of the mainstream training on offer and this placement would provide an ideal opportunity to understand the issues that are faced by smaller, stand-alone archives, and to gain valuable experience.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Involvement in preparation and hanging of the second archive gallery exhibition
- Taking responsibility for monitoring the on-going digitisation of the beta tape sound recordings
- Involvement in the reorganisation and rationalisation of the company files with responsibility for one entire department
- The reorganisation of the archive library collection, including the provision of a detailed catalogue
- To support the running of the archive department as required
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- An interest in, or experience of archiving
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Word and Excel
- An honours degree in a relevant subject
- Methodical and attentive to detail
- Discretion in the handling of confidential material
- Physically fit and able to lift and carry as required
- Good communication skills at all levels
- Knowledge of Opera and awareness of Glyndebourne activities
Hours of Work & Rates of Pay
This is a part time position of 21 hours/ 3 days per week- Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays.
We can offer a rate of pay of £7.50 per hour/ £157.50 per week. You will also be entitled to 5.6 weeks (pro rata) holiday per year including public holidays.
We have excellent on site catering facilities, can offer a beautiful working environment, the opportunity to see world class opera and for those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station.
How to Apply
Please apply by firstly clicking here to complete our online monitoring form and then download and complete the Routes Application form and follow the directions for submission. If you prefer, you can request a paper copy of the form, by calling 01273 812321 and leaving your postal address.
The closing date for applications is 24 March 2017 with interviews to be held week commencing 3 April. Applicants must be available to start in early May.
We are an equal opportunities employer