Head of Building Services
We have a vacancy for a Head of Building Services to plan, manage and oversee our electrical, construction and maintenance activity for our Theatre and all other buildings on our site.
You will ensure projects, repairs, remedials and fixes are carried out efficiently and to a high standard, in conjunction with applicable health and safety requirements. This includes internal and external works with particular importance placed on repairs to equipment required during performances. Additionally, to ensure there is round the clock on-site security cover.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Agreeing objectives of the Building Services function and to be accountable for achieving them
- To ensure that operational systems and processes are functioning efficiently, including but not limited to: technical services, building maintenance and resources, operational procedures, security and other building activities
- Ensuring that adequate resources are available to deal promptly with all emergency situations related to the site and its maintenance systems
- Responsible for the financial management of the department within the agreed budget
- Responsible for the management, training and recruitment of maintenance, engineering and security teams
- Managing the organisation, appointment and evaluation of outside contractors
- Monitor energy usage and introduce potential energy-saving measures
- Maintain accurate and up to date records relating to building maintenance and security operations, ensuring statutory compliance is maintained
- Undertaking of risk assessments and the implementation of appropriate measures; ensuring all faults are logged and acted on
- Attend weekly Front of House meeting to update colleagues on departmental activity
- Any other ad-hoc duties as reasonably requested by line manager
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Experience in building services management and maintenance
- Qualified Electrician
- Budget management experience
- Proven project planning and management capability
- Proactive approach and a desire for work to be completed to the highest possible standards/quality
- Ability to respond quickly and calmly in an emergency
- Strong site health and safety knowledge
- Previous line management experience
- An ability to work in a sometimes physically demanding role including outside
- A flexible ‘can-do’ attitude and willingness to support the team hands-on as required
- Tickets to use Cherry Picker, Forklift, MEWP Scissor Lift machines
- Knowledge of lorry lifts and procedures
- Experience of maintaining a performance venue
- An understanding of, or interest in Opera/the Arts
- Understanding of complex shift working patterns
- An enthusiasm for sustainability and the environment
- Knowledge of fire alarm procedures, systems and protocol
- Knowledge of security guarding work and requirements
- First Aid at work qualification
Hours of work
The contractual hours of work are 35 per week, 9:00-17:00, Monday-Friday
However due to the nature of the work, the role will require you to be ‘on call’ for one week in every four when not on site – if you are called in for any reason you will be paid a supplementary rate.
The role may require occasional evening or weekend work and you may very occasionally be telephoned while off duty (and not on-call) if there is an issue concerning security cover or a site emergency.
Salary & Benefits
We can offer a salary of up to £45,000 dependant on experience. Salaries are reviewed annually on 1st January.
We offer 5.6 weeks holiday per year rising to 6.6 weeks after 5 years including public holidays.
We have excellent on site catering facilities, can offer a beautiful working environment & the opportunity to see world class opera.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed as they arrive
We are an equal opportunities employer