- Next, introduce the popular theme of the ‘fallen woman’ in the 19th Century, personified by Violetta. Show the following artworks:
- George Cruikshank, ‘A destitute girl throws herself from a bridge’, 1848
- W Holman Hunt, ‘Awakening Conscience’, 1854
- Nan Goldin, ‘The Ballad of Sexual Dependency’
- Students can then make thumbnail sketches and notes on each artwork under the following headings: Clothing – style/ colour.Figures – pose/ gestures/ form/ mass. Gaze – Where is the subject of the painting looking?