Cendrillon Teaching Resources
Art and Design Key Stage 4
Ask students to research distorted portraits using reflection. They can start by researching:
- Cindy Sherman fashion photos for Louis Vuitton
- ‘Bill Brandt Self-Portrait with mirror’, 1966
- ‘Max Ernst’, 1934 by Man Ray
- Susan Derge’s ‘Observer and Observed’ photography series
- Maria Svarbova’s ‘Swimming Pool’ painting series
- Is the portrait hyper realistic/ expressive/ surreal?
- Can you guess the personality of the sitter; are they calm, quiet, confident, happy or secretive?
- What makes you think this?
- How has the artist/ photographer used reflection to distort the image and our perception of reality? Why have they chosen to do this?
Photography: Create a modern fairy tale photo montage. Show students a range of Annie Leibovitz’s ‘Disney’ series then ask them to recreate one of the photographs; they need to plan costumes, props, background and lighting e.g. early morning light would create the magical, dreamy quality of the Disney photographs.
Image credits: Cinderella (Cendrillon), Tour 2018, photos by Richard Hubert Smith