Wigs Hair and Makeup Supervisor
We are currently recruiting for a Supervisor to join our Wigs Hair and Make Up team for this year's Festival & Tour
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Ensure hairdressing, barbering, wig-making and make-up requirements are in place in order to support Production and Running teams
- Ability to realise the Designer’s vision and use knowledge of relevant techniques, materials, tools to achieve agreed requirements
- Work closely with individual artists’ in the application of Wigs, Hair and Makeup and will be assigned specific areas of productions from preparation and fitting, through to rehearsals and performances
- Preparing and supervising productions in consultation with the Head of Wigs & Head of Make-up to include purchase of department supplies and equipment as required
- Perform show duties and work as part of a running team as scheduled
- Ensure the team have the ability to perform all practical tasks related to the areas of Wigs Hair and Makeup in live performance settings
- In collaboration with the Head of Wigs & Head of Make-up, develop Wig Hair and Make-up staff including Glyndebourne staff, freelance and show staff.
- Ensure accurate and up to date written and visual records are kept
- Participate in recruitment and appraisal processes
- Participate in developing area specific Health & Safety guidance
- Ensure all procedures are in line with Health & Safety guidance and legislation
- Willingness and desire to continue professional development
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Relevant degree, HND, City & Guilds or equivalent industry recognised qualification in wigs, hair and make-up
- Excellent skills in hairdressing/ barbering/ wig-making / hair cutting/ and make-up, gained through demonstrable experience in theater, film or TV
- Excellent knowledge of historical hairstyles and character make-up covering all periods and cultures.
- Substantial professional experience as wig and make – up artist , being familiar with cutting edge techniques in the field of live performance
- Special Effects makeup (for stage) to include creation and application of prosthetics
- Respect confidentiality, maintain discretion, tact and diplomacy and safeguard confidential information.
- Solid supervisory and team leadership skills and experience; demonstrable ability to work effectively alone or as part of a team; including but not limited to staff recruitment and appraisals.
- Current Right To Work in the UK.
- Touring experience
- Understanding of hair & makeup for High Definition Recording/Broadcast
Salary and Benefits
We can offer a competitive salary.
Your normal working hours are variable, on average a minimum of 39 hours per week over 7 days. However, employees at this level are expected to work the hours required to meet the demands of the role.
We offer 5.6 weeks’ holiday inclusive of bank holidays per annum pro rata.
We have excellent on site catering facilities, can offer a beautiful working environment, the opportunity to see world class opera and for those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station and a season ticket loan scheme.
How to Apply
Glyndebourne is an Equal Opportunities Employer and a Registered Charity. We promote equality, diversity and inclusion in our workplace and actively encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply for vacancies, including ethnically diverse and disabled candidates, who are currently under-represented in our workforce.
To help us monitor the effectiveness of our commitment to diversity and inclusion and our supporting policies and procedures, we ask all job applicants to complete our anonymized and confidential Equal Opportunities monitoring form.
Please then apply by emailing your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed as they arrive.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for our vacancies. If relevant to you, please inform us of this in your covering letter. If you have any questions in relation to this please contact a member of the HR team at email@example.com.
Glyndebourne commits to protecting your privacy. We will only use information about you in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and other relevant legislation and regulations. Please see more information in our Company Privacy Notice on our website.
This job description reflects the current situation. It does not preclude change or development that might be required in the future