Senior Men’s Cutter/ Tailor
We are currently seeking an experienced Senior Men’s Cutter/ Tailor to lead our Men’s Tailoring team
Possessing significant industry experience you will be responsible for planning, organising and managing the tailoring workroom activities, including recruiting, training and developing staff at all levels.
Based in our new production hub, collaborating with internationally renowned designers, this key position is a unique opportunity to bring your considerable knowledge, strong leadership skills and passion for the craft to our world class organisation.
Working to strict deadlines you will be responsible for planning workloads relating to manufacture within the Men’s costume workroom, from fitting through to finishing. You will have the skill and ability to realise designs, draft bespoke Men’s patterns, cut period and modern garments and manage the workload necessary to refurbish, fit and alter existing costumes for revivals. In addition you will have experience of instructing a team of tailors in methods and techniques used in production tailoring workrooms.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Head of Costume and Costume Designers to ensure their vision is realised using creativity and efficiency with attention to schedules and deadlines
- Interpret and realise designs, draft patterns, cut and fit costumes to ensure quality and standards of craftsmanship are maintained
- Work closely with the Head of Costume, to ensure efficiency of design and costs relating to the manufacturing process
- Interview, recruit and manage the workroom staff, and assist with selection of work placements
- Attend costumed rehearsals
- Make costumes as required
- Create and maintain records for relevant departmental information relating to productions
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- A City and Guilds or equivalent in Costume / Tailoring/ Fashion or a similar industry qualification
- Comprehensive and extensive knowledge of costume production styles through all historical periods to include cut and construction techniques
- Considerable knowledge of materials with the ability to provide sound advice regarding fabric choices to achieve best results within the financial framework and production process
- Awareness of costume production and theatre safety standards
- Excellent drafting, cutting and construction skills in specific relation to historical and contemporary men’s garments
- Ability to work with artists and designers, responding positively to the creative process while balancing the workroom’s ability to complete work on schedule
- Experience of managing a team of tailors in a similar role
- Excellent communication and organisational skills including computer literacy
- Personnel skills and an ability and commitment to encourage support and develop of a team
- Creative, flexible and self-motivated, with a willingness to collaborate and the resilience to adapt to changed priorities
- Ability to maintain a positive and supportive working environment
- Awareness of H & S standards with regard to workroom equipment
- Flexible attitude to working hours during Festival and Tour period
- Physically capable of undertaking the requirements of the position
Salary & Benefits
We can offer an attractive salary package dependent on experience.
This is a Permanent position with contractual hours of work of 39 per week however you will be required to work additional hours to meet the demands of the role in the build-up to the Festival and Tour.
We offer a minimum of 33 days / 6.6 weeks holiday per year including public holidays.
We have excellent on site catering facilities, can offer a beautiful working environment, the opportunity to see world class opera and for those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station and a season ticket loan scheme.
Pauline Lecrass our Head of Costume would be pleased to discuss the role with anyone considering applying. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an informal discussion.