We are currently recruiting for part time seasonal ushers for our 2023 Festival
The role is to support Glyndebourne’s overall mission to provide an experience beyond even the highest expectations, for all our audiences, from the first point of contact to the end of the experience. The role, therefore, requires a high level of Customer Service experience together with strong interpersonal skills and will involve working throughout the theatre including all areas of the Auditorium and other performance spaces, plus the Organ Room, Archive Gallery and Cloakroom.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- To provide an excellent meet and greet service for all our customers
- To provide information regarding any aspect of the customer’s Glyndebourne visit
- To alert the Duty House Manager immediately when any serious problems occur
- To assist with medical emergencies in a calm manner, offering reassurance while professional help is sought
- In the event of an evacuation, to evacuate the audience in a calm manner in line with Glyndebourne’s evacuation procedure
- To be aware of Health & Safety Regulations and to be vigilant at all times, with regard to the safety and security of the audience, colleagues and yourself
- To use the radio efficiently and effectively as required
- To assist our audience with Sennheiser and wheelchair loan, pushing wheelchairs and assisting with picnic location arrangements where appropriate
- To ensure a record of audience feedback is passed back to Box Office and Customer Service
- When working in the cloakroom, ensure we safeguard customers’ personal property left in our care
- To be capable of directing our customers to their seats swiftly and courteously, and to assist with any seating issues
- To demonstrate consistently excellent time-keeping
- In the event of swapping a shift, it is your responsibility to arrange cover
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience of working in a Customer Service environment and providing exceptional Customer Service
- Excellent communication skills
- To be physically fit, comfortable to work in busy and noisy environments, stand for long periods of time and support audience members in wheelchairs as required
- Ability to problem solve and use own initiative
- Ability to work under pressure and to prioritise
Flexibility of working hours to suit the seven-day nature of our Customer Service operation.
Hours of work
You must be available to work a minimum of three shifts of 6 hours or 8 hours, which can be between 1.00pm and 10.30pm, on set days between Monday and Sunday. This shift pattern will involve working most Saturdays and/or Sundays throughout the season.
In addition, you must be available for Customer Service training and Induction all day on either Friday 14 April, Saturday 15 April or Tuesday 25 April 2023
There will also be the opportunity to work in November & December 2023 during our Autumn performances at Glyndebourne, in addition to other out of season events and backstage tours.
Rate of Pay and Benefits
This is an hourly paid position, currently £10.42 per hour -the National Living Wage
In addition, we offer 5.6 weeks’ holiday inclusive of bank holidays per annum pro rata.
We can offer a beautiful working environment, and the chance to see world-class opera. For those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station.
We also offer :
- Free Pilates and Zumba classes, once a week
- Corporate Gym memberships
- An onsite Physiotherapist
- Subsidised electric car charging
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Subsidised dining at our onsite restaurants
- Free tea and coffee
- Discount at the Glyndebourne shop
- Free on-site parking
- Free minibus service to and from Lewes train station and Ringmer
- Discount at various highstreet retailers through the Glyndebourne benefits hub
How to Apply
Glyndebourne is an Equal Opportunities Employer and a Registered Charity. We promote equality, diversity and inclusion in our workplace and actively encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply for vacancies, including ethnically diverse and disabled candidates, who are currently under-represented in our workforce.
To help us monitor the effectiveness of our commitment to diversity and inclusion and our supporting policies and procedures, we ask all job applicants to complete our anonymized and confidential Equal Opportunities monitoring form .
Please then click here to complete your application form.
The closing date for applications is Friday 3 February 2023 with interviews to be held on the evening of Friday 17 February 18:30 – 20:00.
Please note; If you haven’t heard from us by Friday 10 February, thank you for your application but you will have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for our vacancies. If relevant to you, please inform us of this in your covering letter. If you have any questions in relation to this or if you would like this advert sent to you in a larger or dyslexia friendly font then please contact a member of the HR team at email@example.com.
Glyndebourne commits to protecting your privacy. We will only use information about you in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and other relevant legislation and regulations. Please see more information in our Company Privacy Notice on our website.