Deputy Lighting Supervisor
We are currently recruiting for a Deputy Lighting Supervisor to join our Lighting team on a Permanent contract.
Your role is to lead in the provision of the highest quality technical services to productions at Glyndebourne and any other venue where the company may perform, in a busy repertory environment. You will deputise for the Head of Lighting and Lighting Supervisors including supervisory duties, project management and creative work as required.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- To lead on the preparation, rigging, focusing, operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of lighting equipment for productions.
- To lead on the realisation of lighting requirements for specific productions as assigned, including artistically sensitive reproductions of revivals, taking into account the repertory working practices.
- To deputise for the Lighting Supervisors as required
- Prepare and update show bibles, annotated scores, risk assessments, method statements and other documentation as appropriate for productions and systems.
- Act as a team leader, giving technical advice and instruction to lighting staff as necessary, to help develop skills and suggest any relevant training
- Share responsibility for departmental staffing (welfare, performance and standards)
- To ensure all productions and projects meet Glyndebourne’s sustainability targets from a lighting perspective.
- Ensure that rehearsals, show changeovers and performances are executed smoothly and to time.
- To prioritise team workloads in a rapidly changing environment.
- To work closely with other departments to facilitate lighting requirements.
- To assist with the maintenance & development of lighting systems or other infrastructure projects as required.
- To work across 7 days including unsocial hours.
- Any other duties as reasonably required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A proven track record as a lead lighting technician in professional theatre.
- First class technical knowledge with a passion for creating high quality theatrical productions.
- Lighting experience at a supervisory level; experience of leading by example and guiding and motivating others
- A proven track record in reproducing designs from documentation accurately to tight deadlines
- A high level of attention to detail with artistic sensitivity.
- A professional approach to the job, a positive and flexible attitude and the ability to behave diplomatically in a highly pressurised environment.
- Advanced knowledge of Google packages, Vectorworks and other lighting specific software
- Experience with fault finding complex systems.
- A good knowledge of health and safety within a theatrical environment including safe rigging practices, temporary electrical installations and CDM.
- Ability to multitask and handle multiple projects simultaneously whilst prioritising conflicting demands.
- Excellent communication skills and able to work alone or as part of a team.
- Training: Manual Handling, Working at Height, BS7909/ABTT Silver Electrics
- Experience working in large scale repertory theatre/opera or large scale touring.
- An understanding of technical developments within the lighting industry and how they can be applied to a performance environment.
- Lighting design experience or an established record of recreating lighting designs
- Experience in integration of lighting systems with other departments
- Experience in the use of networked systems
- The ability to follow a musical score.
- Experience working with creative teams.
- Experience with the EOS family of lighting consoles.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Training: IPAF, Forklift
- To travel, when required, on Glyndebourne business.
Hours of work, Salary and Benefits
We can offer a salary of between £37,000 – £43,000 per annum dependent on skills & experience, salaries are reviewed annually on 1st January.
The contractual hours of work are on average 48 per week however you may be required to work additional hours to meet the demands of the role including evenings & weekends.
We offer 5.6 weeks holiday per year including public holidays, this will increase to 6.6 weeks from April 2024. We also give additional non-contractual closure dates at Christmas.
We can offer a beautiful working environment, and the chance to see world-class opera. For those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station.
We also offer :
- Free Pilates and Zumba classes, once a week
- Corporate Gym memberships
- An onsite Physiotherapist
- Cost price electric car charging
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Subsidised dining at our onsite restaurants
- Free tea and coffee
- Discount at the Glyndebourne shop
- Free on-site parking
- Free minibus service to and from Lewes train station and Ringmer
- Discount at various highstreet retailers through the Glyndebourne benefits hub
How to Apply
Glyndebourne is an Equal Opportunities Employer and a Registered Charity. We promote equality, diversity and inclusion in our workplace and actively encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply for vacancies, including ethnically diverse and disabled candidates, who are currently under-represented in our workforce.
To help us monitor the effectiveness of our commitment to diversity and inclusion and our supporting policies and procedures, we ask all job applicants to complete our anonymized and confidential Equal Opportunities monitoring form.
Please then apply by e-mail, sending your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, candidates must be able to provide evidence of their right to work in the UK.
Applications will be reviewed as they arrive with interviews to be held in early December and an intended start date of January 2024.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for our vacancies. If relevant to you, please inform us of this in your covering letter. If you have any questions in relation to this or if you would like this advert sent to you in a larger or dyslexia friendly font then please contact a member of the HR team at email@example.com.
Glyndebourne commits to protecting your privacy. We will only use information about you in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and other relevant legislation and regulations. Please see more information in our Company Privacy Notice on our website.