Part Time, 6 May – 26 August 2018
We have a number of vacancies for Ushers, on a seasonal contract, to enhance the experience we currently provide for customers during their visit to Glyndebourne.
The role is to support Glyndebourne’s overall mission to provide an experience beyond even the highest expectations, for all our audiences, from the first point of contact to the end of the experience. The role therefore requires a high level of Customer Service experience together with strong interpersonal skills and will involve working throughout the theatre including all areas of the Auditorium and other performance spaces, plus the Organ Room, Archive Gallery, Red Room, Old Green Room and Cloakroom.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- To provide an excellent meet and greet service for all our customers
- To provide information regarding any aspect of the customer’s Glyndebourne visit
- To alert the Duty House Manager immediately when any serious problems occur
- To assist with medical emergencies in a calm manner, offering reassurance while professional help is sought
- In the event of an evacuation, to evacuate the audience in a calm manner in line with Glyndebourne’s evacuation procedure
- To be aware of Health & Safety Regulations and to be vigilant at all times, with regard to the safety and security of the audience, colleagues and yourself
- To use the radio efficiently and effectively as required
- To assist our audience with Sennheiser and wheelchair loan, pushing wheelchairs and assisting with picnic location arrangements where appropriate
- To ensure a record of audience feedback is passed back to Box Office and Customer Service
- When working in the cloakroom, ensure we safeguard customers’ personal property left in our care
- To be capable of directing our customers to their seats swiftly and courteously, and to assist with any seating issues
- To demonstrate consistently excellent time-keeping
- In the event of swapping a shift it is your responsibility to arrange cover
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience of working in a Customer Service environment and providing exceptional Customer Service
- Excellent communication skills
- To be physically fit, comfortable to work in busy and noisy environments, stand for long periods of time and support audience members in wheelchairs as required
- Ability to problem solve and use own initiative
- Ability to work under pressure and to prioritise
- Flexibility of working hours to suit the seven-day nature of our Customer Service operation.
Hours of work
Between 6 May and 26 August you must be available to work a minimum of three shifts of 6 hours or 8 hours, which can be between 1.00pm and 10.30pm, on set days between Monday and Sunday. This shift pattern will involve working most Saturdays and/or Sundays throughout the season.
In addition, you must be available for training on one of the following days:
Thursday 26 April, Saturday 28 April, Friday 4 May. You will also need to be available for training on the evening of Sunday 13 May.
There will also be the opportunity to work in October 2018 during our Tour, which commences at Glyndebourne.
Rate of Pay and Benefits
The rate of pay is £7.83 per hour (the National Living Wage). In addition, we offer 5.6 weeks’ holiday inclusive of bank holidays per annum pro rata.
We have excellent on-site catering facilities, can offer a beautiful working environment, and for those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is Monday 29 January 2018 with interviews to be held on the evening of Friday 9 February 2018, starting at 6.00pm.
We are an equal opportunities employer