Senior Wig Technician
1 April – 13 December 2019
We have a vacancy for an experienced Senior Wig Technician to work effectively within our team to carry out all creative, artistic and administrative tasks relating to wigs and hair. You should have a minimum of five years proven wig experience and work to agreed standards for all Glyndebourne stage, media, film and hire requirements both In house and on Tour.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Leading a team as directed by, and in the absence of the Head of Wigs.
- Creation and maintenance of document and photographic record keeping.
- Organisation and maintenance of workroom, stock and equipment.
- Support and development of less experienced Wig Technicians.
- To be responsible for the artists final image and subsequent continuity using wig and facial applications / removals or hairdressing techniques as necessary (make up as required.)
- Hairdressing and wig styling to include cutting, colouring, perming, setting and dressing covering all periods and cultures, using various techniques.
- Daily cleaning and styling of wigs and facial hair, their collection and distribution.
- Repairs and maintenance to wigs and postiche as required and agreed with the Head of Wigs.
- To maintain a high standard of operation, both personal and professional, in all working and performance spaces, with consideration to any shared facilities.
- To maintain hygienic daily housekeeping routines.
- Creation and preparation of wigs and postiche to include foundation making, knotting, weaving, sewing and fitting. Assisting with colour matching, blending and pre curling of hair.
- To carry out tasks as required in conjunction with costume.
- To work and liaise closely with the Head of Wigs at all times and maintain positive departmental and interdepartmental relations across all areas
- Highest standards of customer care must be upheld with all artists, designers, Glyndebourne company members and guests.
- Sensitivity and discretion must be demonstrated when working with artists and colleagues, also the confidentiality of any information that may be imparted.
- The highest of standards must be maintained with regard to personal hygiene, professional application, and safe working practices.
- Strong time management skills are essential, as is the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Positive and flexible attitude to problem solving, administrative tasks and it usage.
- Commitment to working within hours as scheduled with a high level of responsible and reliable personal planning and time keeping.
- Flexibility to work evenings, weekends and bank holidays as required
- Resilience to maintain the long hours and workload as demanded by the Festival
- Flexibility to travel to other sites or venues as required
- A minimum of NVQ level 2 qualification in hairdressing
- HND or degree qualification in theatre/ media hair and make up
- Proven wig dressing and make up experience
- Proven wig making experience
- Compliance with company, departmental and health and safety procedures
Rates of Pay
This is an hourly paid position with rates of £12.40 per hour (To be reviewed for 2019). Your hours of work will be a minimum of 39 hours per week however you will be required to work long shifts over six days during the busier periods. Overtime rates apply for any shifts longer than eight hours and Sunday working.
Over half a day’s paid holiday for each week worked (6.8 weeks holiday per annum pro rata inclusive of bank holidays).
We can offer good working facilities in a beautiful country setting. For those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station.
How to Apply
Please note; we are only able to consider applicants who are available for the entire contract period.
The closing date for applications is Friday 22 February 2019 with interviews to be held w/c 4 March.
We are an Equal Opportunities employer.