Senior Assistant - Tailoring Department
February/ March to 31 August 2018
We have a vacancy for a Senior Assistant to produce modern and period men’s costumes for the 2018 Glyndebourne Season.
- Altering and constructing costumes to a high standard under direction and supervision of senior staff.
- Finishing Costumes to a high standard using excellent hand and machine skills
- Attending fitting and taking notes as required.
- Working to a deadline for scheduled fittings and rehearsals.
- Learning new skills and standard workroom procedures.
- Maintaining safe workroom practices.
- Cutting lining, facing, canvas and other components.
- Responsible for the maintenance and tidiness of the workroom and equipment on a regular basis.
- Responsible for the collection and storage of all remnants and fabric lengths.
- Take responsibility for stock in the workroom, monitor and advise on reordering (sole responsibility of senior assistant )
- Encouraging new workroom employees, introducing them to workroom procedure and assisting them when necessary.
- Assisting in the training of workroom staff ( sole responsibility of the senior assistant)
- Working unsupervised and using own initiative as required by the Cutters.
Education & Training:
- Degree or equivalent in Tailoring / Costume / Fashion together with experience in tailoring / costume making.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate:
- Excellent hand and machine sewing skills.
- An understanding of garment construction.
- Knowledge of basic sewing machine maintenance.
In addition applicants should have:
- A keen interest in developing tailoring techniques.
- An interest in period costumes.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent time management and self-motivation.
- A flexible approach to duties.
- A responsible attitude to workroom procedure and safety.
- The ability to work extended hours under pressure, in regard to deadlines and last minute changes.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in tailoring with advanced knowledge of tailoring terminology, methods and period costume together with experience of team working and workroom procedure.
- You should also be able to manage your own time with minimum supervision and at speed when required.
Hours of work
The contractual hours of work are 39 per week, 09.00-18.00 Monday-Thursday and 09.00-17.00 on Friday with an hour for lunch.
Rates of Pay & Benefits
This is an hourly paid position and the current rates are £11.81 per hour /£460.59 per week.
6.8 weeks holiday pa pro rata inclusive of bank holidays.
We offer good working facilities in a beautiful country setting. For those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station.
How to Apply
Please apply by firstly clicking here to complete our online monitoring form and then e-mail your CV and covering letter to Sam Stonard- Administration Assistant, Costume department- email@example.com
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 7 February
We are an equal opportunities employer