Second Assistants- Ladies Costume and Tailoring workroom
February – August 2019
We have a vacancies for Second Assistants to produce modern and period ladies & men’s costumes for the 2019 Glyndebourne Season.
- Making and altering costumes to a high standard under direction and supervision of senior staff
- Finishing costumes to a high standard using excellent hand and machine skills
- Working to agreed deadlines for scheduled fittings and rehearsals
- Learning new skills and standard workroom procedures
- Awareness of safe workroom practices
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Degree or equivalent in Tailoring/ Costume / Fashion
- Some experience in costume/fashion construction using both machine and hand sewing skills
KNOWLEDGE & SPECIAL SKILLS
- A high standard of hand and machine sewing skills
- A good understanding of garment construction and terminology
- Some knowledge of basic sewing machine maintenance
- Some knowledge of period costume
- The ability to develop construction techniques
- A keen interest in all aspects of costume production
- The ability to produce accurate costumes under the instruction of senior staff
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to work well within a team
- Excellent time management and self-motivation
- A flexible approach to duties
- A responsible attitude to workroom procedure and safety
- The ability to work extended hours under pressure, in regard to deadlines and last minute changes
Rates of Pay & Benefits
The contractual hours of work are 39 per week, 09.00-18.00 Monday-Thursday and 09.00-17.00 on Friday with an hour for lunch.
The initial contract will be from February – August with a possible extension to October to cover our Tour.
These are hourly paid positions and the current rates are £10.51 per hour /£409.89 per week. (To be reviewed for 2019)
6.8 weeks holiday pa pro rata inclusive of bank holidays.
We offer good working facilities in a beautiful country setting. For those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed as they arrive with interviews to be held in early January.
We are an Equal Opportunities employer