Second Assistant - Tailoring Department
9 April – 29 June 2018
We have a vacancy for a Second Assistant to produce modern and period men’s costumes for the 2018 Glyndebourne Season.
- Making and altering costumes to a high standard under direction and supervision of senior staff
- Finishing costumes to a high standard using excellent hand and machine skills
- Working to agreed deadlines for scheduled fittings and rehearsals
- Learning new skills and standard workroom procedures
- Awareness of safe workroom practices
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Degree or equivalent in Tailoring/ Costume / Fashion
Some experience in costume/fashion construction using both machine and hand sewing skills
KNOWLEDGE & SPECIAL SKILLS
- A high standard of hand and machine sewing skills
- A good understanding of garment construction and terminology
- Some knowledge of basic sewing machine maintenance
- Some knowledge of period costume
- The ability to develop construction techniques
- A keen interest in all aspects of costume production
- The ability to produce accurate costumes under the instruction of senior staff
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to work well within a team
- Excellent time management and self-motivation
- A flexible approach to duties
- A responsible attitude to workroom procedure and safety
- The ability to work extended hours under pressure, in regard to deadlines and last minute changes
Rates of Pay & Benefits
The contractual hours of work are 39 per week, 09.00-18.00 Monday-Thursday and 09.00-17.00 on Friday with an hour for lunch.
This is an hourly paid position and the current rates are £10.58 per hour /£412.62per week.
6.8 weeks holiday pa pro rata inclusive of bank holidays.
We offer good working facilities in a beautiful country setting. For those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station.
How to Apply
Please apply by firstly clicking here to complete our online monitoring form and then e-mail your CV and covering letter to Sam Stonard – Administration Assistant, Costume department- email@example.com
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 7 February
We are an Equal Opportunities employer