Head of Press and Communications
Glyndebourne is committed to transforming lives through opera and engaging with broad audiences.
As Head of Press & Communications you will plan and deliver our communications strategy to continue to raise the profile of Glyndebourne, protect & enhance Glyndebourne’s reputation, actively encourage advocacy and tell the story of Glyndebourne’s mission and work in a clear and compelling way. The role will play a crucial role in shaping the key external messages to help develop new audiences and support commercial sales targets.
Glyndebourne’s strategy is increasingly focused on developing new & diverse audiences beyond the traditional opera & classical music sphere. The role will help plan and deliver Press & Communications campaigns to promote the values and aspirations of the Glyndebourne brand to a wider audience.
Critical to success in this role will be the ability to build relationships with key internal & external stakeholders, work collaboratively with colleagues across the Company and play an active role in the Communications Department.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
Develop and deliver key messages & external communications strategy
- In response to Glyndebourne’s strategic plan and in consultation with the Executive and other members of the Communications team establish Glyndebourne’s key organisational messages and a plan to communicate across multiple channels.
- In close consultation with the Director of Communications create and deliver an external communications strategy that supports and enhances Glyndebourne’s reputation. Measure & evaluate its effectiveness.
- Ensure internal stakeholders have a thorough understanding of the key messages and are equipped to use them consistently across all communications.
- Nurture positive advocates who will amplify and reflect the key messages and support the organisation’s mission and aims.
- Deliver a robust crisis communications plan and service.
Manage press & public relations
- Deliver Press & PR campaigns to generate media coverage for Glyndebourne, its mission and activities, across multiple channels, in support of its strategic, audience & sales objectives.
- Manage & deliver campaigns with influencers & key opinion leaders across social media to broaden reach and support engagement with Glyndebourne.
- Agree and set key performance indicators & targets for media campaigns across Glyndebourne for the Festival, Tour, Education, Broadcast and Retail (both Shop onsite and online).
- Manage relationship with media monitoring service providers and provide regular monitoring & analysis of all media activity to evaluate effectiveness and performance against pre-agreed key performance indicators and targets.
- Nurture & extend Glyndebourne’s network and relationships with external media contacts, with particular focus on growing relationships beyond the opera & classical music sphere.
- Deliver a highly-responsive and service-oriented press office for all media enquiries.
- Plan and deliver all news announcements including press opening nights, events and releases.
- Work closely with colleagues from Marketing, Audience Insight & Digital Media to develop fully integrated approach to delivering campaigns and inform key decision making.
Develop relationships with external media partners
- Manage relationships with existing & cultivate new media partners to develop new audiences in support of the Audience Development strategy.
- Create and deliver editorial campaigns with media & broadcast partners.
- Work with colleagues in Marketing & Membership to define and deliver communication strategies for acquisition of new members, including Associate Members, Tour Supporters and Under 30’s
- Identify and develop opportunities for reaching new audiences for Glyndebourne in new regions, markets and growth areas with a focus on lifestyle/gardens and international opportunities.
Management and Reporting
- Provide regular reporting and evaluation on all media activity, results and trends.
- Support a culture of high performance, working with all members of the Press & Communications team to set clear objectives and identify opportunities for development.
- Play an active role in the leadership of the Communications team.
- Work within agreed budgets.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Strategic communications skills & experience delivering effective campaigns
- Proven experience in developing and implementing communications campaigns across multiple channels at a senior & strategic level, preferably within the arts & culture sector.
- Direct experience of leading effective campaigns across social media channels.
- Proven experience of campaign ‘activism’ and ability to mobilise audiences; understanding of campaigning principles.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including copywriting.
- Experience and knowledge of campaign evaluation methods.
Media knowledge, understanding & experience
- Excellent knowledge of the media landscape, preferably with a strong network of media contacts relevant to Glyndebourne’s work.
- A highly developed understanding of the current challenges and opportunities for arts organisations.
- Understanding of building and sustaining online communities.
- Ability to think creatively about reactive and proactive content creation.
Staff, relationship & project management skills
- Previous staff management experience and of working effectively across teams and with internal stakeholders.
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to negotiate and manage partner relationships.
- Excellent planning & project management skills with good attention to detail and ability to prioritise and meet demanding deadlines.
- An interest in the Arts including Opera.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is negotiable dependent on experience. Salaries are reviewed annually on 1st January.
The contractual hours of work are 35 per week however you may be required to work additional hours to meet the demands of the role.
We offer 5.6 weeks holiday per year rising to 6.6 weeks after 5 years including public holidays.
We have excellent on site catering facilities, offer a beautiful working environment, the opportunity to see world class opera and for those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station and a season ticket loan scheme.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed as they arrive
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer