Head of Music Library and Resources
Working closely with conductors, orchestra management and musicians, we are seeking a Head of Music Library & Resources to manage the Glyndebourne Music Library which provides a broad range of music services to the company.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Responsible for departmental budget preparation and management with quarterly updates
- Research and agree performing editions, orchestral layouts and performance logistics with conductors
- Manage the music requirements of all new productions, revivals, concerts, new opera commissions and singing competitions
- Negotiate repertoire royalty/hire contracts for Festival, Tour and concerts with publishers, editors/arrangers, translators and other creatives
- Research, source and schedule keyboard requirements, tuning/maintenance and rehearsal/performance logistics for GFO, GT and concerts
- Manage supertitle script commission and translation, text input, cueing score preparation and operating schedule for rehearsals and performances
- Manage provision of orchestra pit staff, Health and Safety, and oversee schedule for the Festival, Tour and other Glyndebourne events
- Manage the editing and mark-up of performance materials
- Commission and source out-of-house editorial and computerised music origination (in-house Sibelius)
- Provision of interleaved Directors and Stage Management production scores
- Advise orchestras of instrumentations for contracting players
- Checking and reconciliation of orchestra budgets (LPO/OAE/GT)
- Liaison with LPO, OAE, GT Orchestra and conductors re musician non-availabilities, provision of practice parts and other orchestra personnel issues including all aspects of Health and Safety and sound issues
- Provide staff and music resources for studio/stage rehearsals and performances (festival/tour) and orchestra-only rehearsals outside Glyndebourne
- Provision of specific musical information to company – scene breakdowns, performance timings, stage band logistics, music staff requirements
- Provide general company support and service for repertoire information and musical background, including Education projects, copy-proofing for Press, content input assistance for Comms, and supertitle checks for Media projects
Knowledge Skills and Experience
- A music degree or equivalent qualification
- Previous music library experience
- Music editorial experience of vocal and orchestral works
- Budget preparation and management
- Good computer skills – Google, Word, Excel and Outlook
- Flexibility and ability to organise and prioritise work
- Well-developed interpersonal skills to achieve objectives with colleagues and international artists
- Inspire, motivate and build effective teamwork within the library and orchestra pit staff to provide best service to the company and creative teams
- Knowledge of French, German and Italian languages
- Knowledge of a music note-setting program, ideally Sibelius
Salary and Benefits
Salary dependent on experience. Salaries are reviewed annually on 1st January.
The contractual hours of work are 35 per week however you will need to be flexible to include some evening and weekend duties to operate the supertitling system (for which a separate payment is made) and to provide rehearsal/performance cover for the Music Library during the Festival, Tour and other events.
We offer 5.6 weeks holiday per year rising to 6.6 weeks after 5 years including public holidays.
We have excellent on site catering facilities, offer a beautiful working environment, the opportunity to see world class opera and for those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station and a season ticket loan scheme.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 13 June 2018
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer.