Fixed term contract, 26 March – 28 September 2018
We currently have a fixed-term vacancy for someone to join our team of Gardeners who will assist and support the Senior Gardener in the maintenance and upkeep of the Glyndebourne gardens and other parts of the Estate.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
As directed by the Head Gardener;
- To manage, care and maintain the flower and shrub borders including weeding, pruning, spraying, planting, digging, splitting and general tidying.
- To maintain the vegetable and cut flower gardens, sowing, planting, spraying and weeding. To supply the House with vegetables and flowers as required.
- To maintain greenhouse plants by sowing, pricking out, potting up, taking cuttings, watering, spraying and cleaning pots.
- To carry out general tidying duties around the garden and house including sweeping paths and paving, removing algae as required.
- To use power tools and vehicles such as tractors safely and as instructed by the Head Gardener
- To assist as required with additional duties such as furniture moving and rubbish removal in the house.
- To come in at weekends on a rota basis (one weekend in five), to water greenhouse plants and tidy up as required for which time off in lieu will be given.
- To assist in supervising trainees and volunteers on day to day activities as required by the Head Gardener.
- To work safely at all times following Health & Safety and COSHH Regulations.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Relevant qualification e.g. NVQ or RHS in horticulture
- Practical gardening experience
- Driving licence or experience of motorised machinery
- Qualified for using pesticides e.g. PA1/PA6 Use of pesticides
- Chainsaw qualification CS30 & CS30.1
To maintain the gardens to the highest standards, working around the performance schedules during the Festival and Tour to ensure all outdoor work is completed before the audience arrive.
Hours of work
The contractual hours of work are 40 per week, 7:00 – 15:30 with half an hour lunch, Monday – Friday. You will also be required to work weekends on a rota basis (one weekend in five), for which time off in lieu will be given.
Rate of Pay & Benefits
The rate of pay is £9.44 per hour. In addition, we offer 5.6 weeks’ holiday inclusive of bank holidays per annum pro rata.
We have excellent on-site catering facilities and can offer a beautiful working environment.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is Friday 16 February 2018 with interviews to be held week commencing 26 February.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer