Front of House Assistants
Part Time, 5 May – 25 August 2019
We have a number of vacancies for Front of House Assistants, on a seasonal contract, to enhance the experience we currently provide for customers during their visit to Glyndebourne.
The role is part of Glyndebourne’s overall mission to provide an experience beyond even the highest expectations, for all our audiences, from the first point of contact to the end of the experience. The role therefore requires a high level of Customer Service experience together with strong interpersonal skills and will involve working across the Glyndebourne site, primarily in the Main Car Park and Coach Park, as well as all other Front of House areas. It may also include the meet and greet service at Lewes railway station.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- To provide an excellent meet, greet and information service for all our customers.
- To direct traffic confidently on its entry to and exit from Glyndebourne
- To supervise our picnic table queueing system
- To alert the Duty House Manager immediately if any serious problems occur
- To assist with medical emergencies in a calm manner, offering reassurance while professional help is sought
- In the event of an evacuation, to evacuate the audience in a calm manner in line with Glyndebourne’s evacuation procedure
- To be aware of Health & Safety Regulations and to be vigilant at all times with regard to the safety and security of the audience, colleagues and yourself
- To use the radio efficiently and effectively as required
- To assist our audience with Sennheiser and wheelchair loan, pushing wheelchairs and
- offering a porter service to audience members bringing their own picnics
- To help support our environmental policy by assisting with recycling for our audience where possible
- To ensure a record of audience feedback is passed back to Box Office and Customer Service
- To demonstrate consistently excellent time-keeping
- In the event of swapping a shift it is your responsibility to arrange cover
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience of working in a Customer Service environment and providing exceptional Customer Service
- Excellent communication skills
- To be physically fit, comfortable to work in busy and noisy environments, stand for long periods of time and support audience members in wheelchairs as required
- Ability to problem solve and use own initiative
- Ability to work under pressure and to prioritise
- Flexibility of working hours to suit the seven-day nature of our Customer Service operation.
- A full, clean driving licence is desirable, as the role may also require driving the audience golf buggy.
Hours of work
Between 5 May and 25 August you must be available to work a minimum of three shifts of 6 hours or 8 hours, which can be between 12.00 noon and 10.30pm, on set days between Monday and Sunday. This shift pattern will involve working most Saturdays and/or Sundays throughout the season.
In addition, you must be available for training on one of the following days:
Monday 8 April, Tuesday 9 April, Wednesday 10 April, Thursday 11 April, Thursday 2 May, Friday 3 May and Saturday 4 May.
You will also need to be available for training on the evening of Sunday 12 May.
There will also be the opportunity to work in October 2019 during our Tour, which commences at Glyndebourne.
Rate of Pay and Benefits
The rate of pay is £8.21 per hour (the National Living Wage). In addition, we offer 5.6 weeks’ holiday inclusive of bank holidays per annum pro rata.
We have excellent on-site catering facilities, can offer a beautiful working environment and for those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is Friday 25 January 2019, with interviews to be held on the evening of Friday 15 February 2019, starting at 6pm.
We are an equal opportunities employer