Clerk of Works
End of January – November 2018
Building work will commence on Glyndebourne’s new production hub in January 2018. The new two-storey building will house our props, carpentry, costume, wigs and make-up departments, as well as providing rehearsal space for our singers and dancers.
The new building has been designed by Nicholas Hare Architects and demolition work on the site was completed in December 2017. A local building contractor has been appointed and will commence work at the end of January 2018.
The Clerk of Works will represent Glyndebourne’s interests during the new build and ensure it is delivered to schedule, providing weekly updates on progress of the build and ensuring health and safety conditions are adhered to.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- To witness the commissioning of all plant and services and confirm the following:
- BMS controls perform to the M&E Consultants written specification
- Fire Alarm System performs to the Fire Consultants written Cause and Effect specification.
- You will be required to establish appropriate working relationships with contractor’s staff and to be persuasive and diplomatic.
- Demonstrate confidence to undertake inspections at high level via safe working platforms and ladders
- Professionally represent the Client with sound judgment skills, specifically to decide when to involve the Design Team where corrections, negotiations and key decisions are required.
- Ability to report on Health and Safety issues, site conditions and ensure matters are reported to the Design Team.
- Responsible for reviewing MEP drawings and confirm the project is being built as planned and query any discrepancies
- Provide an overview of progress against the contract programme through weekly meetings
- Responsible for monitoring the rectification of agreed defects throughout the construction phase and follow them up until resolved.
- Responsible for identifying defect items upon completion of works and inform the client enabling them to check/sign off completion of all outstanding items prior to handover.
- In conjunction with the Contractor and Client; attend formal handover and 12 month end of defect inspections.
- Any other ad-hoc duties as reasonably requested
Essential Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Excellent client facing skills and proven ability to build effective relationships
- Knowledge and understanding of the construction industry.
- Ability to be methodical and excellent attention to detail
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Must hold the relevant CSCS card and industry standard H&S qualification.
- Ability to work under own initiative and manage workload effectively.
- Effective decision maker
- Excellent team player
Hours of Work & Rate of Pay
This is a temporary position of varying hours dependant upon the stage of construction.
We can offer a rate of pay of between £20.32 – £23.08 per hour dependant on experience
How to Apply
Please apply by e-mailing your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed as they arrive