Assistants - Ladies Costume and Tailoring workroom
February – August 2019
We have a vacancies for Assistants to produce modern and period ladies & men’s costumes for the 2019 Glyndebourne Season.
- Making and altering costumes to a high standard under direction and supervision of senior staff.
- Finishing Costumes to a high standard using excellent hand and machine skills
- Attending fittings and taking notes as required.
- Working to a deadline for scheduled fittings and rehearsals.
- Cutting garment components as directed by senior staff.
- Assisting with maintenance and tidiness of stock/workroom as requested by senior staff.
- Learning new skills and standard workroom procedures.
- Awareness of safe workroom practices.
- Other duties as required by the Head of Department.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Degree or equivalent in Tailoring / Costume / Fashion.
- A minimum of 2 years experience to include workroom experience in costume/fashion construction within a professionally recognised organisation
KNOWLEDGE & SPECIAL SKILLS
- Advanced skills in costume construction
- Sound understanding of costume terminology and methods.
- A sound knowledge of period costume.
- Excellent hand and machine sewing skills.
- Knowledge of basic sewing machine maintenance.
- A keen interest in developing construction techniques under supervision
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ability to work well within a team.
- Excellent time management and self-motivation.
- A flexible approach to duties.
- The ability to think clearly and make logical decisions
- A responsible attitude to workroom procedure and safety.
- The ability to work extended hours under pressure, in regard to deadlines and last minute changes.
Rates of Pay & Benefits
The contractual hours of work are 39 per week 09.00-18.00, Monday-Thursday and 09.00-17.00 on Friday with an hour for lunch.
The initial contract will be from February – August with a possible extension to October to cover our Tour.
These are hourly paid positions and the current rates are £11.23 per hour /£437.97 per week. (To be reviewed for 2019)
6.8 weeks holiday pa pro rata inclusive of bank holidays.
We can offer excellent working facilities in a beautiful country setting. For those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed as they arrive with interviews to be held in early January.
We are an Equal Opportunities employer.