Second Assistant - Ladies Costume Department
12 February – 31 August 2018
We have a vacancy for a Second Assistant to produce modern and period ladies costumes for the 2018 Glyndebourne Season.
- Making and altering costumes to a high standard under direction and supervision of senior staff
- Finishing costumes to a high standard using excellent hand and machine skills
- Working to agreed deadlines for scheduled fittings and rehearsals
- Learning new skills and standard workroom procedures
- Awareness of safe workroom practices
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Degree or equivalent in Costume / Fashion
- Some experience in costume/fashion construction using both machine and hand sewing skills
KNOWLEDGE & SPECIAL SKILLS
- A high standard of hand and machine sewing skills
- A good understanding of garment construction and terminology
- Some knowledge of basic sewing machine maintenance
- Some knowledge of period costume
- The ability to develop construction techniques
- A keen interest in all aspects of costume production
- The ability to produce accurate costumes under the instruction of senior staff
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to work well within a team
- Excellent time management and self-motivation
- A flexible approach to duties
- A responsible attitude to workroom procedure and safety
- The ability to work extended hours under pressure, in regard to deadlines and last minute changes
Rates of Pay & Benefits
The contractual hours of work are 39 per week, 09.00-18.00 Monday-Thursday and 09.00-17.00 on Friday with an hour for lunch.
This is an hourly paid position and the current rates are £10.32 per hour /£402.48 per week.
6.8 weeks holiday pa pro rata inclusive of bank holidays.
We offer good working facilities in a beautiful country setting. For those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is Friday 29 December with interviews to be held w/c 8 January 2018
We are an Equal Opportunities employer