Opera Content Specialist
Glyndebourne is committed to transforming lives through opera and engaging with broad audiences. Glyndebourne requires the services of an Opera Content Specialist who brings expertise in the historical, cultural and musicological elements of opera/operatic repertoire and is a highly skilled and versatile communicator and audience advocate. This role will support and report to the Head of Content Production.
This will be a 12 month fixed term contract working 21 hours per week.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide opera expertise and knowledge of the repertoire for various communications channels for existing and new audiences
- Write promotional copy and proof-read material written by others for the Festival & Tour brochures and other designed material, to agreed deadlines.
- Write a synopsis for new productions and where appropriate, different versions to reflect the needs of different audiences
- Edit existing synopses to our house style
- Advise on format, content and contributions for season podcasts and assist the podcast producer with set-up of interviews, selecting musical excerpts and editorial decisions.
- Review and fact check content in short films
- Write interviews, present content and interview subjects and write or review content for live broadcasts.
- Write specialist content for our website
- Be an expert voice in opera for external editorial purposes
- Research and provide clear information on the repertoire that will support upcoming marketing and press campaigns for the Festival and Tour
- Identify a range of key selling points for each production that the marketing and digital media teams can make use of
- Advise the Glyndebourne Shop team on appropriate books and literature to stock in store to support the repertoire
Talks, Study events and presentations
- Provide ideas for themes for talks and events
- Suggest and contact suitable speakers for talks and events
- Brief and support speakers
- Answer content related questions before events
- Contribute to printed programmes for events
- Present and/or moderate talks to a paid audience
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- In-depth knowledge of opera, to be applied broadly
- Proven experience of writing about opera
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent research skills
- Strong understanding of adapting tone of voice to specific audiences
- Experience of writing promotional material for varying audiences
- Strong team player and natural collaborator
- Working knowledge of social media
- Online blog involvement and illustrated/interactive guides
- Ability to think creatively about proactive content creation
- Fluent in at least one additional language, e.g. Italian, German
- Appreciation of the British education sector in general
- An appreciation of arts audiences and the cultural sector in general
Salary & Benefits
We can offer a competitive salary dependent on experience. Further details are available upon application. We also offer an excellent package of benefits, a beautiful working environment, the opportunity to see world class opera and for those without their own transport we have a free minibus service to and from Lewes railway station and a season ticket loan scheme. We offer 5.6 weeks holiday per year (pro rata), including public holidays.
Flexibility for this role includes the opportunity to split working time between home and office. Days of work may also be flexible depending on schedules and diaries, and can be agreed in advance with the Head of Content Production.
How to Apply
Please apply by firstly clicking here to complete our online monitoring form and then e-mail your CV and covering letter, to include what particular expertise you could bring to the Glyndebourne team, to email@example.com
The closing date for applications is Friday 3rd February 2017.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer.