Building Services Engineer
The Building and Services department at Glyndebourne maintains the theatre, restaurants and public areas, production departments and offices.
We are looking for a qualified Building Services Engineer with an electrical background to join our small motivated maintenance team. You should have a sound working knowledge of mechanical plant and experience of PPM schedules and new installations. You will be required to provide maintenance cover during the Glyndebourne Festival and Tour and take part in an out of hours call out rota.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- To assist in the preparation and implementation of planned maintenance routines, report on effectiveness of those routines and make recommendations to improve practices.
- To report on any plant/equipment/installations deterioration and recommend required action.
- To be proactive in support of sustainability and energy saving initiatives. To assist the Building Services Supervisor & Facilities Manager in promoting energy reduction initiatives across all of Glyndebourne’s Sites. This will require good communication skills and enthusiasm in order to engage staff and public in sustainability awareness.
- Accurately complete PPMs to agreed and specified timescales and write reports as required. To carry out PPMs when requested, inside or outside of opening times. To progress PPMs and ensure the completed reports are returned in an efficient manner.
- Carry out reactive mechanical / electrical works and day to day engineering duties as specified by your manager/supervisor ensuring plant & equipment are maintained at appropriate times to suit the business.
- To work with Glyndebourne’s Maintenance/Asset management System . This is a software based system used for the recording and submission of planned and reactive maintenance. This system is currently in its development stage and part of this role is to actively contribute to its construction.
- To provide Building Services cover in the event of an emergency, and to respond to emergency situations in accordance with Glyndebourne’s emergency procedures.
- To oversee standards of work and assist in training of Building Operatives, Apprentices and new members of staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A recognised Electrical Engineering apprenticeship
- A C&G part 3 qualifications or equivalent (e.g. FTC/ONC)
- Able to demonstrate a reasonable knowledge of statutory health and safety requirements.
- Demonstrate high levels of adaptability; quick to take on board new ideas, logical in addressing technical or customer related issues
- Diverse and flexible multi-skilled worker with a strong customer service focus
- The ability to work as part of a team as well as the ability on his/her own initiative, without supervision.
- The ability to work at height from various platforms including Vertical Powered Platforms and scaffold towers and ability to work in confined enclosed spaces.
- The ability to remain calm under pressure, in stressful situations, and in an emergency.
- Basic computer literacy.
- A good command of written and spoken English.
- Hold a BMS – Software qualification – ‘Operator’ or above
- Current commercial gas installation qualification (COCN1, TPCP1A, CIGA1)
- An adequate understanding of legislation including:
- a. COSHH Training
- b. Health and Safety Legislation
- L8 – Approval Code of Practice & guidance on control of Legionella bacteria in water systems
- Asbestos awareness training
- IPAF – Scissor lift & Cherry Picker License
- To take part in a 24Hr call out rota for which there is an additional payment
- To have your own transport and live within a 30 – 40 minute radius of Glyndebourne.
- To take part in a show cover rota, one week in three during May to October, for which time off in lieu is given.
Salary & Benefits
We can offer a salary of £27,500 – 28,500 dependent on experience plus additional on-call and call out payments. Salaries are reviewed annually on 1st January.
The contractual hours of work are 35 per week however you may be required to work additional hours to meet the demands of the role which will include some evenings and weekends for which overtime will be paid.
We offer 5.6 weeks holiday per year rising to 6.6 weeks after 5 years including public holidays.
We have excellent on site catering facilities, can offer a beautiful working environment, the opportunity to see world class opera.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed as they arrive.
We are an equal opportunities employer.
** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **